Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Logging into My Account from the library catalog, GIL-Find, allows you to check:
- Books and other materials you have checked out.
- Lists the status of books requested from other University System of Georgia libraries.
- Includes title, author, status, pickup location, etc.
Fines & Fees
Blocks & Messages
Holds, Checking Out and Renewing Materials
You can request a book or other item available at Odum Library be held for you at the first floor Circulation Desk:
1. Visit the library catalog
2. Search for the item that you would like to request
- You can search using keywords, a subject, author, or title
- If you need assistance finding an item, please contact Reference Services
3. Select the relevant result from the Results page.
- Selecting an item from the Results page will open a new window that gives you more detailed information including:
- Library location (call number)
4. On this Detailed Record page, look under Get It.
5. Click on the blue Request button next to Request Options.
- If you do not see a Request button, double check that you're logged into your Library Account.
6. Complete the Request form, selecting a Not Needed After Date, and click on the green Request button.
7. Once your Request is submitted and processed, you can visit the first floor Circulation Desk to pick up the item.
- You receive an e-mail at your valdosta.edu e-mail address indicating when your item is available for pick-up.
To check out a book or other materials from the library:
Visit a Circulation Desk
- The First Floor Circulation Desk is located near the Internet Café and the South Entrance.
- The Second Floor Circulation Desk is located near ASC, the IT Help Desk and the North Entrance.
Provide the Circulation staff member with your 1Card and the book
If you do not have your 1Card, you can also provide your 870 number or your name.
The Circulation staff member will check out the book to you and provide you with its due date.
How to Check the Due Date
- Log into My Account
- The My Account tab should be highlighted as you log in.
- There will be a list of books and other materials you have checked out. Each item will have several columns, one of which will be Due Date. The date will be listed in a 00/00/00 format (with a real date).
How to Renew a Book
- Follow the steps above.
- You will have the option to Renew All or Renew Selected.
- If you would like to renew specific titles, use the check box beside the book's title.
- Click on Renew All or Renew Selected.
- The new due date should be reflected under Due Date.
Note: GIL Express books must be renewed online prior to the due date.
To return your book you can:
- Use the blue book drop box labeled "Library Book Return" located by the road between Odum Library and Brown Hall.
- Visit Circulation (first floor).
It's important when returning books that you visit these designated locations. If materials are returned to the wrong place, you could incur late fees and holds on your VSU accounts.
Facts About Borrowing
All materials on the third floor can be checked out for 28 days.
Popular fiction found on the first floor can be checked out for 28 days.
No item limit for VSU Undergraduate/Graduate students, staff or faculty.
See Borrowing Privileges for more information.
If you would like to renew your book, refer to My Account for more information.
If you change your mailing address or e-mail address, remember to update this information with the library. This ensures that you receive proper notification about checked-out materials.