Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Maps of Georgia and Contiguous Southern States
Many of Odum Library's topographic maps of Georgia and contiguous states are published by the USGS. We shelve these alphabetically by the name of the state. Generally, these maps are identified by series (for instance, 7.5 minute) and name, which is usually based on the most prominent cultural or physical feature it contains. For instance, the 7.5 series map of Valdosta, Georgia, is the Valdosta quadrangle.
- 1 x 2 degree series, scale 1:250,000
- 7.5 minute series, scale 1:24,000
Odum's map collection contains selected maps from the states of Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
Locate these maps by two methods:
- Use the Index Map for each state. The Index Map is a state map with the individual quadrants and their names marked on the map. The Index Map for a state is located in the map case, in the drawer where each state begins. Exception: the Index Map for Georgia is usually on top of the cabinets above the Georgia topographical maps.
- Find the booklet for each state in the GIL-Find Catalog: "[StateName] Index to Topographic and Other Map Coverage. For example, "Florida Index to Topographic and Other Map Coverage." Use the booklet to identify general areas within states, which are called Block Numbers. Then refer to the Block page to find the specific area that relates to that state map and the name of the map needed.
Georgia Government Documents Maps
Georgia government documents are arranged with a logic similar to SuDocs and are shelved in the Reference Area but separately from Federal government documents. For example:
Sudoc (Federal map)
- Title: Jekyll Island quadrangle, Georgia 7.5 minute series (topographic--bathymetric)
- Location: Government Documents - Map Cabinets – 2nd floor
- Call number: I 19.81:31081-A 4-TB-024/995
Ga Doc (State of Georgia map)
- Title: Reed Bingham State Park trail map
- Location: Government Documents – Georgia - 2nd floor
- Call number: GA DOCS N200.P2 M1 2008 R45